Monday, May 13, 2013

More Than Turning the Other Cheek

I found myself hurt by two people in the last couple of days for the same reason: the way they responded to something that I did or said that may have offended. I had no intention to hurt or offend them in any way, and perhaps didn't even realize that doing so would have been a possibility. As I see others reactions towards me that hurt for one reason or another, I find myself wanting to shut people out and not trust others. I don't want to get close to them, don't want to help them, don't want to share my life with them, don't want them to know me. 

Then when my husband asked me, why don't you want to do one of these things, the Lord spoke to me: it is because I am not responding rightly to what they did either. How the Lord wants me to respond is with love, grace and forgiveness. My response should not be with a wall of self-protection or some other action that I may take out of my self-focused and/or insecure mindset, that is not in line with my identity in Christ nor the truth of His Word. Instead, I should do more than turn the other cheek. 

Jesus said this in the following order: Luke 6: 27 “But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. 29 To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also..." Before even turning the other cheek, He tells us to do everything out of love to those who hate us, curse us and spitefully use us (or mistreat us in other versions). Then He adds to allow them to keep making blows at you if they so wish to do so. And then He adds even more....And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either. 30 Give to everyone who asks of you. And from him who takes away your goods do not ask them back. 31 And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise. Don't just love them in your heart, but give to them. Serve them, love them, give to them, bless them. 

Wouldn't I want someone to do this to me?~hmmm. When someone treats me with love when I do not treat them that way, it is not only humbling, but I can really see the love they have for me and the love that God has for me as well. Wouldn't I want someone else to experience that through my actions towards them? This is the question that I have to ask myself before I respond the way that I am used to responding, which is not only out of my flesh, but is also not in the way that Jesus would nor the way that I would want to respond. After all...32 “But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lendto those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. 35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. 36 Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment